Wednesday 2 October 2013

Review: The Geographer

The Geographer is a new independent addition to Histon, a rather sleepy village on the outskirts of Cambridge.
The Geographer Histon
This building was up for sale at the start of the year and whilst I was still employed by the corporate monster I would walk past it every day, peering in daydreaming of it dressed up as my very own tearoom. The perfect building that could be stripped back to its stunning wooden floor and high beamed ceilings...Dreams, airy fairy dreams!
However, I was teaching a baking lesson a few weeks back in this very village and the lovely ladies advised me that this lovely new coffee shop had opened there and that I must check it out... And check it out I most certainly did.
The Geographer Histon
I walked in the very next day for a much needed caffeine hit and was far from disappointed as I was welcomed with the friendliest smile and the warmth of a very cosy venue on a chilly autumnal day.
Whilst scouring the floor to ceiling shelves of Italian goodies, I got chatting to the lovely owner, Caroline.
She co-owns and runs this new treasure trove with her husband,  David and she was telling me that they used to own the Norfolk Street Deli in Cambridge before moving onto their new project here in the village.
Caroline had recently read my blog review on another Cambridge based deli, Balzano's and knew who I was when we got chatting, it's always good to know you are welcomed with open arms when you are heading to a potentially exciting new venue to write about ; )
The Geographer Histon
So why "The Geographer" I asked?... For various reasons, mainly that the building used to be a travel agents before it opened up for them to take over with their fabulous new offering. And also because David has travelled a lot over the years, so they encompass this theme into their decor and theme throughout the place. There are maps and travel paraphernalia dotted around and some of the bistro style tables have atlas snippets covering the tops. It's a very refreshing theme, I've not visited anywhere like this before.
On the shelves, you will find a selection of gifts, including handmade crockery and coffee making gadgets, along with pittas and Italian flat breads,  pasta sauces and oils, even Italian biscuits, cannoli and pastries.  I went for a white chocolate ganache filled cannoli and a super strong hit of Illy coffee whilst stopping.
The Geographer Histon
Ingredients are sourced locally where possible and with the freshest eggs, cheese, honey, olives and bread, villagers finally have somewhere to purchase a delicious and unique sandwich, bagel, salad or panini for a lunchtime treat.
They also have a fine selection of wines, beers and champagnes on sale, I could have spent all day staring at everything on the shelves, there's so much to take in.
Freshly hand picked roses in vases adorn the tables and outdoor seating areas to add a homely touch and the chilled out background playlist works perfectly to make for a peaceful escape for an hour or so.
The Geographer Histon
They also sell my favourite "Chocolicious" brownies, made by a local lady, these are hands down the most gooey, moist and stupidly naughty (but oh so nice!) chocolate brownie I've ever eaten, so it'd be rude not to buy some for later whilst here!
If you find yourself in the area, The Geographer will not disappoint, it's in an easy location from the A14 and plenty of free parking along the road outside.
The Geographer Histon
They are currently open Monday to Saturday and you can read more about them by clicking here.
Miss Sue Flay


No comments:

Post a Comment