Sunday 5 June 2011

REVIEW: Cafe @ Abantu


I wanted to share with you a very secluded and local secret (Shhhh!) 
in the form of one of my very favourite tea and cake spots in Cambridgeshire.... Although I nearly couldn't bare to share their cake and let you in on it! Hehe

Abantu is a small and fairtrade shop in the Cambridgeshire countryside, offering gifts sourced from third world countries as well as locally made items such as jewellery and kitchen ware.
 It's an Aladdin's Cave of gift ideas.


The shop also hosts a very cosy cafe in a stylishly converted barn on a working farm. 
You could easily drive past this little gem of a tea stop without knowing it is even here. 
As you will know by now, any farm with a foodie twist attracts me right away, but they offer a great place to relax alone or with friends.
 It's such a relaxing place to visit at any day of the week. 
Even allowing children to come in and play with the toybox in the lounge area as well as the little play area in the garden. 

This countryside Cafe offers a varied menu of breakfast choices for that sought after hangover cure, or just a light bite for lunch. 
Their Chicken Caesar  Panini is a new favourite of mine, served with a side salad as well as a small portion of Coleslaw and Potato Salad. It's great value for money and comes warm and even as a takeaway option, should you wish to sneak in on your way home from a pup walk.... I have been guilty of doing this from time to time!


In fact, their cake selection is of the upmost importance and is pride of place on a large dresser along the far wall so that customers can drool over it as soon as they walk through the door!
It's always my first stop to see what is on offer that day. 
The Carrot & Walnut cake is a firm Favourite, as well as a seasonal Beetroot & Pecan Cake they served last Xmas which was something I had never tried before.
 Delicious, moist and generous slices every time. 


Their tea is served in dainty vintage teacups with beautiful china teapots and a vast selection of loose leaf tea to choose from. 
Their Hot Chocolate is very creamy and worth a sip on a cold or windy day. 
I am yet to sample their coffee, I just can't resist a cute teacup to enjoy my hot drink from... Tea for me every time at this cafe. It's too fun to pass up I am afraid. 


If you are ever stuck for somewhere to go for good tea and cake, take a trip to Bourn. 
I can't rate Abantu enough for good cake, most certainly handmade. No factory made farces here. 

Miss Sue Flay

: ) 

2 comments:

  1. Had lunch here today for the second week in a row. Both times I had the soup....best soup I have ever had in a restaurant/café!!

    Vegetable soup and Sweetcorn and chilli. I'm actually intending to try and replicate the sweetcorn and chilli soup tomorrow for friends when we meet for lunch and board games!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are loving this place, it's just FAb : ) xx

    ReplyDelete