Monday 25 November 2013

Recipe: Kenwood Titanium - Banana & Melting Chocolate Streusel Cake

I was recently offered a superb and rather exciting baking opportunity - I was asked to review the latest model of the Kenwood electronic kitchen mixer range. I wasn't going to turn down this sort of offer, it was simply too good to turn down and geek out in my kitchen with a brand new (and very shiny) toy! Kenwood Titanium Introducing the Kenwood Titanium KMC010 The Offer In Question: In exchange for my mixer (thanks to my lovely friend, Lynn Hill at Clandestine Cake Club who put me forward as a potential reviewer) I was asked to get baking with this particular mixer, creating some Christmas inspiration in my own home, including a Xmas cake and some other sweet treats. Kenwood Titanium What did I do first? I had to rip into the box and open everything (and I mean everything), making my kitchen look like a John Lewis Kitchen Department for a short while, packaging thrown all over the place, left for later… there were more important things to do, such as get baking, naturally! This cute little mixer packs a punch, which was surprising to me at first, as I am already the owner of a kMix (a pretty red colour it is too) and the Titanium has a lot more power, seemingly, than my first one, so I was more than happy popping it on full pelt as I whipped up my first Autumn warming cake. It spun effortlessly and it has a fantastic silicon attachment to whip up cakes and scrape the sides of the bowl at the same time – hurrah! My kMix doesn't have this attachment, much to my hunting previously, so this has made me very happy indeed!  Kenwood Titanium Banana Streusel The Recipe: Banana & Melting Chocolate Streusel Cake I've made this cake before, but as a Cranberry & Almond cake, which is stunning served warm between Xmas and New Year whilst we have access to fresh cranberries, however, I had an abundance of bananas and dark chocolate, so I fancied creating something a little more indulgent, it's truly delicious, if I am allowed to say so myself?! Gooey chocolate, fresh from the oven, what more could a baking fanatic want on a chilly day?! For The Streusel Topping: 120g flaked almonds 40g unsalted butter, melted 40g light soft brown sugar   Kenwood Titanium Banana Streusel For The Cake: 160g plain flour ¾ tsp baking powder Pinch of salt 2 large eggs 300g caster sugar 100g butter, melted and cooled ¾ tsp vanilla extract 2-3 bananas, sliced into ½ inch wide pieces 200g good quality dark chocolate, cut (or bashed!) into small pieces   Kenwood Titanium Banana Streusel Method – Streusel: Heat your oven to 150*C. Grease a 9 inch round spring form pan (or a silicon cake pan in my case). Combine the melted butter, almonds and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Work the mixture between your fingers to form large crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use – don't be tempted to use it as an exfoliator, as tempting as it is!   Kenwood Titanium Banana Streusel Method – Cake: Melt your butter and leave to one side to cool off. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in one medium bowl. Combine the eggs and sugar in another larger mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until the mixture is lightened and increased in volume, about 5 minutes - it will be very pale in colour. With the mixer on low speed, add the melted butter in a slow stream. Turn the mixer to a medium speed and beat for another 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla. Gently but thoroughly fold in the flour mixture, half a cup at a time. Then stir in the sliced bananas and chocolate, being careful not to break up the fruit. Scrape the batter into your prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the cold streusel over the batter, pushing it in as much as you can to keep it firmly within your cake once cooked. Bake the cake until it is golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean – approx. 1 hour to 1hour 10minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.   Kenwood Titanium Banana Streusel Then release the sides of the pan and use a large spatula to slide the cake from the pan bottom onto the wire rack. Enjoy warm from the oven with your choice of naughty additions, such as a salted caramel sauce, vanilla ice cream or even a good quality clotted cream. This cake will keep at room temperature for up to 5 days…. If it lasts that long!   Kenwood Titanium Banana Streusel Miss Sue Flay   Please note - This product was complimentary. I am in no means obliged to blog or write about this if I don't like it, but I simply choose to share my thoughts with my readers, should I enjoy the experience or product in question. Any questions, please do email: hello@misssueflay.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment