Friday 16 November 2012

Review: Pinnies of Godmanchester


I've been told by a few people lately that there is a very cute little tearoom in Godmanchester, just up the road from me in Cambourne, so it was about time I got down to have a nosy.

It was a chilly day, I cadged a lift whilst the mister pootled off to Halfords for car stuff, so I enjoyed a bracing, but sunny walk along the river and enjoyed re-living a few childhood memories of coming here with my sister and dad for ice cream in the summer. In fact, I believe the ice cream van still stops along the railings beside the river in the summer and it always makes me smile when I see the beautiful Chinese Bridge and the marina surrounding it. Huntingdon was always a Saturday destination for a wander, with a quick stop here on the way through for a walk and a play on the adventure playground as kids.


It's the perfect sleepy Cambridgeshire village location for a new tearoom and Pinnies caters to this need perfectly.

Co-Owned by 4 very lovely ladies with a real passion for home baked food, this small tearoom is home to just six smallish tables (decorated with freshly picked flowers) to choose from, so if with a larger group you may need to know that this may require a call ahead to warn them.


I sat myself in one of the cosy nooks and ordered a pot of English Breakfast Tea and as much as I fancied a piece of cake, I decided to go for a savoury option (unheard of ; ) 
Their menu is extensive and offers an entire range of delicious breakfast options, as well as lunches including sandwiches, salads and omelettes, quiches and so on.
I settled on a bacon roll with my tea and I was not disappointed. It was a soft, small poppy seeded roll with rashers of the thickest and tastiest bacon I've enjoyed in a long while. In fact, it was so delicious, that I ordered a second roll to take away for the mister to eat in the car prior to a bike ride we had planned for later that day - He was in bacon heaven!


The ladies at Pinnies have already got quite the following, you can tell. Word had spread in Cambourne and beyond already and whilst I was sat here just a little while, 3 different people came in to buy the cake round for their fellow employees at local businesses. One young lad had been sent to purchase 8 slices of cake and he took is time choosing from the large selection, chatting away to the lovely ladies as they helped him. It was such a nice atmosphere, jolly conversation, the ladies know their customers and they know the ladies, it's such a friendly place.


Just the smell of a lemon sponge cake fresh out of the oven hit me as I had walked in, cooling on a wire rack, ready for the lunchtime rush. There was a chocolate sponge cake, a Victoria Sponge, Coffee Layer Cake, Carrot cake, even apple pie which could be warmed for the sweet toothed customer wanting a piece.
They also serve the biggest and fruitiest scones I've seen in a very long time, enough cake on offer to actually make me want to go back for a full afternoon tea when I can treat myself to such naughtiness.


A full afternoon tea tier will only cost you £7.95 to include a pot of tea, finger sandwiches, scones and a selection of cake, a true steal for such fantastic homemade goodies on offer. The tea is served on dainty vintage china, with the teapot I had for myself easily serving 3 to 4 generous cups of tea, it's honestly fantastic value for money.

Nothing was too much effort, I didn't feel as though I was being watched or rushed, I could have easily sat there for another hour or two catching up on some of my favourite blogs, it's in the list of places to go and do just this if ever I need a bolthole.


Even with kids at the other tables, I think the ambiance and refreshments on offer made the children behave beautifully and it was so lovely to see the little girl next to me drinking her cold drink from her mums teacup like a big girl. Very cute. Usually having a young child next to me in a tearoom ends up with said child gurning at me through jam covered teeth or eyeballing me as they blow bubbles in their hot chocolate whilst I'm sat there, but Pinnies seems to bring out the best behaviour in everybody.
 I love it here!

Miss Sue Flay 
x

Please Note- I'm not paid or bribed to say these things, I visit of my own accord, because I'm simply THAT geeky about tea and cake and all things in between. I pay for my own food and drink, I don't tell the establishment what I'm doing, unless I enjoy it so much that I want to blog about it. I then simply ask their permission to do so and I chat to them about my experience to make them aware that I (and others) have enjoyed it : ) 


No comments:

Post a Comment